APEL (C) is the award of credits for the prior experiential learning towards a course in an accredited programme of the higher education provider. APEL (C) provides the mechanism to recognise the individual’s prior experiential learning that is relevant and specific to a course within a programme of study. The credit award is granted on the basis of the knowledge and skills acquired through informal and non-formal learning. These forms of learning which emphasize experiential learning will need to be formally reviewed and assessed.
The process will determine if learning has in fact occurred and is in line with the learning outcomes of the course’s concerned. It is the learning and not the experience of the learners which is being evaluated.
Geomatika University College’s (GUC) APEL (C) Centre is established to promote and support Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning for credit award for learners. This Centre responsible for managing, monitoring, developing, maintaining and exercising any matters in regards to APEL (C).
- To provide GUC and relevant stakeholders with essential information on the processes and procedures in the implementation of APEL (C);
- To outline the policies on the implementation of APEL (C);
- To monitor the development and arrangement of the assessment instrument used to award credits;
- To develop, maintain and exercise APEL (C) application procedures to the learner and other stakeholders;
- To ensure an effective, transparent and quality-assured practice of APEL (C) that will instil confidence in the outcomes of the APEL (C) processes.;
- To provide training and development of APEL (C);
- To encourage the participation of adults in higher education by recognizing their prior experiential learning in the form of credits awarded; and
- To encourage current GUC students to participate by recognizing their prior experiential learning in the form of credits awarded.
Pre-Application Process -> Application Process -> Assessment & Result Process